Whether you are seeking to establish a custody and visitation arrangement, beginning a divorce, are related to a child to whom you have been denied access, or are seeking to modify an outdated custodial arrangement, the Law Office of Stephen B. Plott, PLC is able to assist you with your child custody and visitation issues. We litigate to obtain temporary and permanent child custody determinations, negotiate custody agreements, and handle all manner of custody modifications.
“The best interest of the child.” It is something you will hear often when discussing child custody. Despite all the factors that are looked at when awarding custody, judges ultimately make their decisions based on what they believe is in a child’s best interest. If you are embroiled in a custody dispute or just want to make sure you enjoy time with your children, an experienced attorney is invaluable.
Virginia’s “Best Interest of the Child” statute is found at Section 20-124.3 of the Code of Virginia. The factors that courts must consider in all child custody or visitation disputes are:
- The age and physical and mental condition of the child
- The age and physical and mental condition of each parent
- The relationship existing between each parent and each child
- The needs of the child
- The role which each parent has played in the upbringing and care of the child, and the role each will play in the future
- The likelihood of each parent actively supporting the child’s contact and relationship with the other parent and of cooperating in matters affecting the child
- The reasonable preference of the child, if of reasonable intelligence, understanding, age and experience to express such a preference
- Any family history of domestic violence or abuse
- Other factors as the court deems necessary and proper
In many previous cases — hard work, thorough preparation, a detailed knowledge of the law, and the ability to work well with opposing counsel have helped clients avoid a courtroom battle.
At the same time, we recognize that there are situations in which an acceptable compromise on child custody or visitation issues cannot be reached through negotiation or mediation. In these cases, you can feel confident in Attorney Plott’s ability to effectively protect your interests at trial.
If you are involved in a divorce and require spousal or child support; if you have separated from your spouse and find yourself in need of financial assistance; or if you have a child for whom support is required, the Law Office of Stephen B. Plott, PLC has the resources to help you obtain spousal or child support. We routinely handle support matters such as the establishment of initial support award, modification of support awards, and enforcement and collection of support arrearages.